Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Hi. I woke this morning to a stabbing pain under the skin on my back. It's localised, but there is nothing to see when I get my husband to look at it. It is painful to touch and my clothes irritate it. I've never had anything like it before and am a bit concerned it could be shingles or something like that. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks for your help

Lisa

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2018
Skin Answer A62927
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Sudden stabbing pain in the back with irritation can be shingles. The rash can develop a day or two later. It can also be sun-burn, if in upper back, often the rash is not visible, but if you have been out in sun, then this could be a possibility. Third possibility is that a boil is about to develop. It can also be a small neurofibroma-may be felt a day or two later.

Take a pain killer by mouth and apply lactocalamine or aloe vera gel and see if it helps. If a rash develops or if pain aggravates, then please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. You may need an X-ray of cervical spine to rule out any changes there causing nerve compression.

This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.