Sometimes I feel like my skin is crawling when someone touches me. Sometimes when my daughter plays with my hair or climbs on or when my husband touches me I feel like bugs are crawling on me and I just want the to stop touching me... I love my family very much and don't want to hurt their feelings but sometimes I actually start to feel sick. What should I do and do other people feel this way?

thanks, jodi
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 16th, 2009
So happy (kind of) that I found someone else...
Jodi,

For how much I hope I don't suffer from the same thing you do, I also hope that I do. I have been experiencing this for many months now and it is recently worse. For me, it started when a girlfriend (who lived several states away from me) moved to my state to move in with me. Over time, I found that I didn't love her at all and felt trapped in our relationship. The anxiety this caused me, made me start feeling (as you described) when she would touch me. And I mean EXACTLY how you describe. When we would hold hands, it would be okay until she would move her thumb to rub my hand lovingly. I would have to stop her. I told her at some point that lightly brushing my skin makes my skin crawl, so she stopped. We broke up several months ago, but I still get the feeling when people or things touch me. Recently, it has become my bed sheets...if they create a crease that is not quite smooth and creates a slightly more pressured point on a part of my body, I have to move to flatten that point out. But this disorder is SO inside my head that I have a tough time sometimes just laying in bed or sitting at my desk at work. Please report back if you find anything. I truly believe that this is stress related, so I am going to start a workout program and maybe even try hypnosis if I get too far to the end of my rope.

Thanks for reading.
Joe
Chicago
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Thanks for replying Joe.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Skin Crawling
I have seen a psychiatrist and a therapist. The also think that stress is causing major anxiety, which uses the skin crawing thing to tell me that I am too stressed. I was prescribed Lorazapam and Cytalopram. I took them for a while and then stopped as the main source of my stress had come and gone. I still have moments when I feel skin crawling, but not as bad. I know that I have the lorazapam as a backup if things get bad and I just need to get sleep, cope with stress better, relax, etc.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....