Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

skin cancer and other cancers ??

i've just had my FOURTH mohrs surgery on my face for various types of skin cancer basal, squarmous, and pre-cancers. now Dr wants me to try efudex for two weeks. i'm so scared but more scared that because we have gotten skin cancer are we more susceptible to other cancers?? this is frightening!! sunsetgal
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you scared about treatment with Efudex or just about your risk for getting other types of cancers?

Some recent studies have shown that non-melanoma skin cancer survivors are at higher risk for getting other types of cancers later on.
Women who had any type of skin cancer, are almost 3 times likely to get other type of cancer like breast, lung and colon cancer.
This counts for men, and, prostate cancer, too.
However, the increased risk is highest for melanoma, a deadly type of skin cancer.
|

replied November 1st, 2008
what i did not want to hear
that is what i was hoping NOT to hear. that we are likely to get others cancers because we have skin cancer. i do know quite a few people with skin cancer that did not get another type of cancer. i hope the studies are wrong. i will have more anxiety over it if i knew that it could lead to other types of cancer. sunsetgal
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What the studies have concluded, doesn't mean that you'll get another type of cancer for sure.
It says that the risk is bigger, than for people without history of skin cancer.
This is just statistic.
So, try to find this information like a warning for leading a healthy, free of cancer risks life.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2008
Supporter
In 2001 I had a malignant melanoma removed from the back of my left thigh. I have not had any other form for skin cancer since. I was diagnosed with breast cancer this past Feb. I believe its coincidence, not (I got breast cancer because I had a melanoma). Doctors know very little about melanoma, its a cancer that can mutate over and over and literally hide from various treatments. This is one of the reasons I opted for the sentinel (lymph node) test, in case a microscopic cell had traveled, it would have gone to the nearest lymph node....Mine were clean.....both times.... I too know lots of people who have had various skin cancers removed from them, but have yet to develop other cancers. Think postivie....I've learned to take negative and turn it into something positive. Why worry yourself to death over something that may NEVER happen to you? Live each day to the fullest. Don't allow statistics to suck the life out of you..........
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....