This is long-sorry! My sister and I used to see the same Family Practitioner. Sister battles severe depression/anxiety. We all talk openly with each other and with Dr. Have for years.

Sister wasn't doing well, I called Dr.
Dr. ended up telling me sister had just had an abortion. ( sister is very pro-life/worked for years for right to life org even) Dr worried that without mental help, sister would "not survive" "mentally or physically". Asked me to help her/without telling her where info came from.
Without telling how I knew, went to sister in love, offered support. She and husband freaked out/denied the abortion, have now threatened to sue Dr. AND me. Dr. has now threatened ME with lawsuit for "lieing' about her. ( she denies telling me).

It's a mess! Anyone know what laws are here? Surely I can't get in any trouble?? I've still never told them where I got my info from. Assuming they just figured it out/who else would know? Can Dr. get in trouble? Should she?? She just wanted help for my sister.
I'm so confused!
Untill this happened, my sister and I were VERY close! I didn't condemn her. Only tried to offer support. She is in complete denial now, and my brother-in -law won't even talk to our family because we "believe" this lie.
I know her Dr. didn't lie to me. Truth is..I don't even care what she did or didn't do-I just wanted to help her get through it.(and yes-I've told her that)

Thanks for any insight.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I replied to this in the abortion prolife forum.

http://ehealthforum.com/health/patient-con fidentiality-breach-t136062.html
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2009
I am not familiar with the laws where you are, but where I am the Dr could get into trouble on a civil level. Kind of doubt that any criminal charges could be pressed against the Dr though.
|