Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Sister has severe face swelling since moving to Australia

Here is a picture link ( I blocked her eyes out for a little bit of privacy. She's a very athletic and fit girl and her face is about twice the size of normal due to swelling. She moved out to Sydney, Australia a little over a two months. For the last month her face has blown up like this. She has been to two general doctors and two specialists. She's scheduled for another in two weeks.

Age: 30

Weight: 130

Height: 5'11

Duration: 1 month (on and off for an extra month)

Location: Sydney, Australia

Itches and burns

Received steroids (Prednisone), anti-itch cream, and various steroid creams. Steroids helped but they can only keep her on the Prednisone for so long and once she stopped it blew up again.

No autoimmune disorders. Has tested negative for Lupus.

She visited the states last week, by time she got off the plane her face had returned to normal, and the day she returned to Sydney it went back to the state it is in the picture.

She's getting desperate and she is almost ready to move back home if she can't resolve it. I feel really bad for her. Trying to do everything I can to see if there's something we haven't looked for.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2014
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Such facial swelling can be due to angioedema which can be due to allergies. So it is advisable to get her allergy tested for respiratory allergens by getting allergy testing involving skin tests and blood tests like RAST done.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.