Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Sister and brother in law addicted to cocaine

User Profile
Hello you all, i am bipolar and strugling for 8 years now, i can say i am pretty well right now, but, i am very anxious and panicky due to situations at home. i am single and live with parents and my sis and her husband, they have 3 kids and they abuse cocaine and drink and do pot. My sister has been on cocaine for like almost 15 years now, we tried many things to help her but she doesnt want any help. what worries me the most is the children, how can they be safe living with this parents? they would dissapear for the entire weekend and then come back as if nothing happened and the oldest kid , who is 10 is feeling very down cause she thinks her parents dont care about her and they just want to go and party and turn off their cellphones and dont care if anything would happen at home like an emergency with the kids.

This weekend they did it again, they dissapeared since friday and turned off their cellphones and the 10 year old girl cried to sleep last night, i dont know what to do to help the kids or my sister.

My main concern are the kids since may parents wont be here forever and I eventually will go and have my own family.

I am planing to take the 10 year old girl to a counsellor so she can talk about her feelings because i dont know how to explain her the kind of probems her parents have and it is too much for me.

Any advice will be great.

tks for reading

April
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Aprilskies,

What a wonderful aunt you are. Unfortunately, your sister and brother-in-law are better parents to their drugs instead of their children. Please call this number TODAY, they can guide you, this is for getting the childrne help. (1-800-422-4459) This number is for getting your sister and her husband help 1-800-662-HELP). Please make thse calls NOW! I support you getting the children counseling, also contact Child Protective Services in your area. I admire you for being to those children what their parents can't be. You can also call your local District Attorney Office, do a web search or look in your local phone book for the number...they will guide you as well.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2010
tks for your advice, i just forgot to say i live in south america and things are different here, if i notify child services we might loose the kids for good and they will go into the system, my idea is to start taking my niece to counselling and eventually the counsellor is going to have to talk to her parents about her being down or whatever state of mind she is now, because i wrote a letter to my sister saying what her daughter felt the other night and she didnt say anything but today she went on an anger spell saying how me and my mom put things in her daughter's head.
Thats why i think that if she gets a report from an expert she will have to open her eyes to the situation.

tks for replying

April
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2010
i took my niece to the psicologyst and i am in shock, the results are worst than i ever expected, she shows depressive traits, sycotich spells, suicidal tendencies, agresion towars her or others, she feels unloved, unwanted, invisible, lonely, she is jelous from her brother, and so and so, she needs terapy once a week and the whole family has to go into therapy wich is the only good thing. and the psic also said that since she is 10 we are just in time to help her. i feel very overwhelmed.

tks for reading

April
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....