User Profile
I need some advice. My daughter is almost 9 months old now. She is a big girl and loves to eat her solids and is still nursing 5-6 times a day. The problem is she refuses to take a bottle or sippy cup. She will drink juice or water from a cup but only a little bit and will not take formula or breast milk from a cup at all. She knows how to hold the cup and what it's for but she wants the breast and nothing else when it comes to feeding. I'd like to wean her by the end of the summer, around the time she turns 1 because I have to go back to school, but I'm worried about her refusal to use her sippy cup. I can't leave her for more than 4 hours because, while she will snack on solids, she just waits until I come back to get her milk. Her dad thinks we should just keep trying to give her formula every day in a cup but we keep having to throw it out and it's expensive. I've given up on pumping because I couldn't stand to keep throwing all that breast milk away. I just want to be able to leave her for a while without constantly worrying that she will be hungry until I come back.

Any suggestions?

Also, does formula have to be warmed for them to eat it? I read somewhere that it doesn't necessarily have to be but I can't remember where I heard that. I was thinking that if it was different from her breast milk and more cold like juice or water, maybe then she will drink it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 30th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
In the sippy cups there is that plug that prevents it from spilling. Take it out. If she is like my daughter, she doesn't like to suck on her sippy cup to get her juice/milk out.

She has ONLY been drinking warm breast milk. Make sure to warm her formula too. Formula tastes awful. I don't blame her for not wanting it.

Don't give her straight juice. She doesn't need it, it is all sugar. You can water it down 1/2 and 1/2 with water.

You should not be the one feeding her the sippy cup. She sees you and knows that you are Boob. Have your husband give her the cup. If you work at it every day, eventually she'll take it. The end of the summer isn't for a few months yet. Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2008
Experienced User
she took a little bit from a bottle today. she's never had juice without lots of water in it. she doesn't have it anymore, just water.

i am going to try to get her dad to give her the milk as often as possible but he works long hours so it's inconsistent sometimes. i guess we will just do our best with that.

i was thinking i might also try those cups with the rubbery spouts instead of the hard plastic ones. she likes to chew on them because she's teething so maybe she'll be more interested in those.

this whole BPA thing is throwing me off a little too. its' all so confusing.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Good for her taking the cup.

You might try different cups, like that rubber spout one you were talking about. Those hard ones aren't very easy to use, have you tried it? Plus you have to suck to get the liquid out.
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....