User Profile
May right sinus or cheekbone area seems to be a little swollen. I have had a really bad ear infection about 2 months ago to where I went to the doctor 3 different times. The third time the doctor told it was the worse case she has seen, called the infection otitis externa, and prescribed antiobiotics ear drops. It has since then cleared up. I tend to have fluid in my ears from allergies. I do have post nasal drip from time to time. What are some possibilities as to why my sinus or cheekbone is swollen? I guess I could use a decogestant for a few days as well as my flonase. Should those two things clear it up? Ive had a few headaches here lately, and a migraine a few days ago, not sure if that plays into all this or not. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2014
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern.

Unilateral headache, especially if associated with a focus of infection as identified by your doctor would point us in the direction of acute maxillary sinusitis with an associated ear infection. Migraine with this acute onset can only be an independent, pre existing or exacerbating event and not a causative one with this history. The post nasal drip could be an allergic rhinitis. Yes antibiotics, decongestants would definitely help in clearing out such an infection.

Empirically Augmentine, Rhino Clenil , Loratidine can be started. Your physician will know about the dosage as per your need.

Let me know if you have any query

wishing you best of health

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.