Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Sinus problems continue after endoscopic surgery. what now?

I am so depressed and at my wits end. In 1985 I began having sinus problems at the age of 30. When I would get a cold or respiratory flu my sinuses would be miserable for weeks, including numerous sinus infections. After trying every over the counter product - pills, sprays, devices - and prescription and non presription allergy pills I finally had endoscopic sinus surgery. I have fewer sinus infections now but the continual pressure, need to swallow (and sometimes can't and feel like I'm choking) and snorting continues unabated and the last month it has been particularly bad. My sister is a nurse practitioner and in Jul when I was having a bad bout she told me to take one of the OTC allergy pills daily (I had been taking one Allegra, one Claritin and one Zyrtec daily in an attempt to find one or a combination that would help). And she added Singular which is an asthma treatment but also used for allergies when nothing else works. And she gave me Flonase. She also gave me one round of Prednisone. I do a saline irrigation at least twice a day. I finished the Pred and that horrible bout ended (though general problems continue) then 3 weeks ago it came back worse than ever even with all my medications and treatments. SHe gave me another short round of pred but it hasn't helped - just made me hungry, hot, sweaty and wired. I also added the two OTC pseudo and phenyl meds. And yet I sit here with terrible pressure in my sinuses and a need to clear my throat and snort. In the past I also tried a natural product that is highly regarded in Europe for sinus problems; not much difference. I have a professional job and work in a small warren of offices. This has to drive people crazy - luckily I'm the supervisor so no one probably feels like saying anything to me. Writing this I could cry. Any, any ideas for me? (I have been wondering if my rheumatoid arthritis may be part of my sinus issues - inflammation?)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 3rd, 2013
I have the same problem with it not going away i have had antibiotics, spray everything just over a year i also get aching to the top of my head and pains to more of the surface of my head my sinuses also hurt too i have been to the doctors and they had done nothing have you had anything like this and is this also still normal with sinus problems! Smile
Someone please reply Smile xx thank you
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Sinuses problems can be quite discomforting and troublesome and all the medications have sedative effect so sleep predominance and dizziness and lethargy is inevitable. Treatment is mostly supportive with decongestants, antihistamines and home remedies. Consult an otolaryngologist and an allergist to find out any underlying cause for this recurrent trouble.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.