Medical Questions > Parenting > Single Parents Forum

single parent with full physical custody

Single parent to an amazing 11 year old, I have full physical custody and share legal custody with my parents (his grandparents). They decided to take me to court to request full legal and physical custody of my son, terminating all my rights. We all live in the same household as I was seriously injured in an accident 2 years ago. I take care of my son and all of his needs, I am his primary care giver and this is really hurting my son as we are extremely close and he is scared to death they will win and he will loose me, which regardless of verdict I assure him that will never happen. This is a control issue as for instance i say his bedtime is 9:30 my abusive and very hostile mother says "no good parent lets there child stay up that late" or her favorite mantra is "your poor son, he has no father, a single parent for a mom, is biracial, how will he ever make it in this world" it is embarrassing and hurtful to even write this nonsense...as I always respond I work very hard to maintain a close relationship with my son and he always will know just how loved he is and there is no limitations on what life will bring for him as he is amazing! This is far more than I ever received as I often compare my mother to Joan Crawford. You may ask why move in with them, good question, really dumnb on my fault. I moved away my entire adult life but when I had my son, I was scared to death to have him around strangers, and I felt tremendously guilty for his father's deadbeat self! So in short I felt I owed to my son to surround him with family, for most part its been a good thing, several hurdles along the way, my father and my son do great together, my father me and my son work well its my mother who does not work well. its her way or no way. So they have much deeper pockets than me so have extensive resources to use as where I do not. I am not on drugs and I am with my son always, in the last 2 years he has spent 6 nights apart, 1 week with family and one friend sleepover, thats it. please tell me it cant be this simple they can take my child??? I feel as if they are trying to right all their wrongs from their 4 children (my siblings) via my son, which is not fair to me but most importantly is so so unfair to him....it is breaking my heart and soul...please any words of advice are more than welcome
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 12th, 2013
I might add the only reason they have shared legal custody as it was a way to remove his father legally from having any custodial rights as thru the years he pops in and out to only call and threaten me..and my father was retiring from his job and if he had partial custody he could add him to his benefits so my son would receive full benefits thru college, never for any other reason.
|

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2013
Community Volunteer
I sympathize withy your pain, but this is not the legal forum where you will receive much assistance.

Custody cases are very involved, and can involve anything from drug screens to behavioral health issues, to home visits with custodians and kids, etc.

The very first thing I would do is call your local dept. of human services, explain that you are frightened of this situation (as you noted in your post), and ask what is involved with providing your son with a Guardian Ad Litem. (A guardian appointed to represent the interests of a person with respect to a single action in litigation is a guardian ad litem.)

This shouldn't cost anything. This person will appear in court and speak only toward what is best for your son.

This won't be easy; custody battles rarely are. Good luck.
|