Medical Questions > Parenting > Single Parents Forum

Single mother fighting for sole custody

I need some help on what my chances are for winning a sole custody battle. I have been the primary caregiver for my child single birth me and her father tried to work things out but didnt work cause he was always verbally abusive towards not only me but his mother which whom he lives with. After our broke up 7months ago we had agreed to joint custody with her primary living with me and acess to him on alternating weekends. Now he is trying to get sole custody under the fact that im a druggie which C.A.s did a drug test which was negative.. He is also trying to get it under the fact i cant care for her because his parents always feed her and bath her when i was at their house with them.. but that was cause his parent wouldnt let me do anything which was one of the reason why i left in the first place cause i wasnt allowed to parent my child.. Can someone tell me what my chances are that he would win against me.. Also the father has a history of drug use and is an alocholic who ditched his daughter to his parents to drink
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ilovemydaughter
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
Im not sure all the circumstances surrounding the whole situation or even what state you live in but where i am from i am trying to get sole custody and our lawyer told me that usually if a couple was never married the courts assume sole custody with the mother. That is saying you are not an unfit mother which doesnt seem that way... our lawyer said that joint custody is usually only put forth for couples going through divorce.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
I am currently dealing with a similar situation. My story goes a little further with assult charges and failing to comply thereafter. However, the advice I had been given which may help you is, you should go to court prepared with anything you can tell your lawyer ot duty counsel about why is would be unfit as a father. Abuse (towards you or anyone else), if he is a flight risk, if he threatens, his previous drug use, unpredictable tempers and so on. You will also have to explain why it is not possible to have joint custody. Prime example, you did have joint custody but there is too much animosity to have civilized communication to attempt to co-parent. and if you did accept the joint custody agreement, you could request that have joint custody with the final decision making regarding the child is yours. Hope this kinda helps
|

replied September 25th, 2013
Need some support please help
Im am also dealing with this situation. I have a restraning order on my sons dad he was a abusive person to me. he has not seen our child for three years, the first time I had submitted a parenting plan the case got close but that was both of are faults cause we didnt read the packet carefully. Second time, He put in a parenting plan. Thats when I hired a lawyer. the day of the court hearing I showed up but he didnt, cause he was locked up in jail for a whole month. Then after that happened my lawyer said it was best to leave things the way that they were because the longer he let time past would make him look very bad. Recently I reopend my case to get the parenting plan finished and out of the way. He also has been posting things on facebook about how im going to lose and how im also going to have to tell the juged, why has he not been able to see our child. I have been the one always to care for my son, he has not try to do anything to fight for him but just complane. need help
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied October 21st, 2013
Hi there, I like to chime in with my experience as I have raised my daughter since she was 5 months old and now 22. All because the mother was abusive, narcissist drugs, etc. I was in court 10 times, which made me realize I could help many other parents with my experiences.
My advice to you, besides the great advice so far, is first take power of knowing you are undoubtedly right. Second, take a look at Zain Arcane's you tube video's on Narcissism. You can learn how to control your ex's actions by knowing how to react in return and by not giving him the power. Third, document everything, date and time. Forth, do not let up on your lawyer to make sure he has everything and don't slip up and go for full custody if he is abusive. Fifth, be one step a head at all times with having all your documents and giving them to your lawyer. Sixth, what ever you do, do not let child services get involved, they can reverse everything against you!
I hope that was a little helpful?
Rob
Our Children Come First
|