Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

since she's giving these things up she's even gained weight.

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
User Profile
Hey,

My girlfriend (18 years old) has a hard time accepting her weight (she's 1.56m tall (5' 1") and weighs about 70 kg (154lbs)). Now she's kinda going desperate as she can't wear the dresses she used to wear anymore.
All I can recommend is to drink a lot of water but that's not having an effect. She's tried things like giving up potato chips, cookies and all kinds of soda. She currently only drinks water or lemonade. She does not eat a lot (too little even, in my opinion) and since she's given these things up she's even gained weight.

Basically, she's very insecure about it and doesn't want anyone to know so I'm posting this post in order to get some tips that might help decrease her weight and increase her health a bit while not being (too) impact full on her daily routine.

Thanks for reading,
Rataridicta
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2014
Weight Loss Answer A49781
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!
The key to losing weight is burning more calories and consuming calories lower than that required for your basal metabolic functions. Eating more calories than this can cause weight gain. So, first determine the number of calories she needs to consume per day. For this, calculate her basal metabolic rate depending on her lifestyle. There are many BMR calculators available on line. While they are not 100% accurate, they give you a rough idea regarding the number of calories required to maintain your basal metabolic functions.

Since you can’t cut down calories drastically, you need to exercise to burn some calories. So if the net calorie consumption is less than need for basal metabolic function and burning of calories is reasonably good, she will start losing weight. You can get many charts online which show you how many calories you burn with a particular exercise. You can use this as rough guideline to help her with an exercise regimen that does not tire her out. These online sites also help you choose from a wide array of food items to build up your calorie need. She will have to make a conscious effort to eat 3-4 small well planned meals spread throughout the day. This will help her burn calories better.

Also, she needs to find out whether she has diabetes, thyroid problems or cysts in ovaries or anemia, which are causing her to gain weight. It would be great if she can consult a doctor and go for counseling. Hope this helps. Take care!

|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2014
Maybe
|

replied November 6th, 2014
Hi,

did she try metabolic nutrition? a friend of mine recommend it to me and it had really great resulats,

best regards.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 29th, 2014
I too have gone through this phase. Then I started taking medical consultation and planned my daily meal properly. Regular exercise and healthy food is a Key to healthy lifestyle.

Gaia’s Green tea helped me lot to lose weight naturally. It gives energy, its detoxifying and diuretic properties help to burn extra fat.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.