Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gluten Free Diet Forum

Signs of gluten intolerance/celiac disease

I've been just recently researching gluten intolerances, because I think I might have several of the symptoms. I am female around 20 years old, and although I haven't put two and two together until now, I think I may have started developing some of the symptoms around 16 or 17. I always ate a ton of cereal in high school, and towards the end I started getting terrible diarrhea and bloating. Also the most terrible tasting burps. I'm pretty sure I'm anemic, and bleed like crazy whenever I get cut. I have a very light bone structure and very low bone density. When I got to college, I started feeling fatigued when exercising after a few months, and ascribed it to overtraining and poor diet (which it most likely was). Now for the past few months I have been eating a diet similar to the South Beach Diet, and have significantly cut my carb intake. I think this has helped my digestion greatly, since I don't have the severe diarrhea or bloating that I do when I eat cereal, pasta, and flour. Also, come to think of it, my mom gets indigestion as well when it comes to eating certain wheat products, though I don't know exactly the extent of it.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go to a doctor and see what kind of allergy/possible celiac disease I might have, and how severely I need to restrict my diet. Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....