Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

signs of desiezes such as ADIS, HIV, etc.

how do you know if you have a sexually transmitted desieze and you haven't been tested or had sex?

by the way, if this helps with your answer: i'm male and in my teens. i wanna know the signs if i have a sexually transmitted desieze or not. plz answer as soon as possible as i don't wanna give my girlfriend a disieze if we start having sex.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Most sexually transmitted infections can present with various constellation of symptoms. Screening for STDs is not suggested based on the signs and symptoms. It is based on the assessment of risk from the sexual history of the individual.

First and foremost people who follow safe sexual practices do not have any risk of sexually transmitted infections.

SAFE SEX - The ABC 's to prevent STDs include - ‎

A - Abstinence (not engaging in sex, or delaying first sex)‎
B - Being tested for HIV and Being faithful in marriage and monogamous relationships or reducing the number of ‎‎‎sexual partners
C - Use a Condom, correctly or consistently, if you are not faithful. ‎ ‎

Sexually transmitted infections like HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, Herpes, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, HPV, Syphilis - are ‎‎transmitted when individuals have a risky sexual behavior.‎

Risky sexual behavior includes ‎
‎1. Having multiple sexual partners, ‎
‎2. Having intercourse without protection‎
‎3. Use of alcohol and Illegal drugs like methamphetamine, and other “party ‎
drug” use - can lead to risky sexual behavior, due to reduced inhibition.‎
‎4. Low socio economic status, and psychiatric illnesses - can lead to higher rates of emotional distress, suicide ‎‎attempts, substance use, and risky sexual behavior.‎

In case, you have such high risk sexual behavior, the risk of having STDs is high, and hence regular screening for STDs is recommended.

It is not good to test only when you develop any symptoms. You should take precautions so that you are never at risk at any time. And in case, you think, you are at risk, getting tested early and seeking appropriate treatment in the early stages helps in preventing long term complications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.