Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Side effect of gallbladder removal ?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
Just two weeks ago I had my gall bladder removed due to gall stones. During the surgery, the surgeons determined my bile duct was blocked and scheduled me the following morning for an ERCP.

Three days ago, I went to my doctor for my post-op and he said I was a clean bill of health because I wasn't having any side effects of either procedure. Yesterday I went shopping with my mother and we got a watermelon and I put it in the car. I got a sharp but dull pain in my right side and thought I just lifted the melon wrong, until today. I still have the pain but it has worsened some and become tender. Also, I am nauseas, vomiting, have a slight fever, and the feeling my stomach is turning.

Could I be having a side effect from the gall bladder removal or ERCP?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A13303
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. In view of the symptoms described by you, the possibility of cholangitis is there. In this, there’s a classic triad of fever, pain right upper abdomen and jaundice. Hence, will suggest to get your liver function tests done. If there’s no jaundice, then the possibility of cholangitis is very less.

AN ERCP also helps in ruling out the possibility of any obstruction in the bile duct which commonly occurs due to the stone only. Post cholecystectomy syndrome is another entity which is quite common. Since the reservoir of bile i.e. gall bladder has been surgically removed, the bile straight away comes into the intestine & there’s a continuous flow and it can result in gastritis or pain in the upper abdomen. You should consult a gastroenterologist for the same as it is not possible to diagnose online. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.