Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

side alternating shoulder blade pain

I really need help with this. I have seen several doctors, had an MRI (showed nothing) and been doing physical therapy for months. I am only 22 years old and have a healthy lifestyle and can remember no time of injury. this has been going on, and getting worse for 6 months. however i remember first feeling these symptoms almost 5 years ago.

symptoms: I have an almost constant pain in my shoulder blade with nerve pain in upper arm, lower arm, elbow, chest, ribs and pinky/ring/middle finger. the strange thing about this is that it switches sides, almost every 30 minutes or so. And when it is on one side of my body, symptoms are identical, and during that time the other side is NOT affected. There is no movement that aggravates it in particular and i have full strength and range of motion. Its a dull burning ache, and from what I have researched I have come to suspect it has something to do with my teres minor, but does it make sense to have it switching sides so often? What can I do or who can I see to figure out what this is? Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2009
side alternating shoulder blade pain
I've had a similar problem for almost 2 years. Mine switches sides less frequently--every 24 to 48 hours or sometimes longer. I'm still trying to figure it out too.
|

replied September 20th, 2009
My wife has something very similar, although she has had this for over 15 years. Neuropathic pain that alternates sides many time during the day. She has been diagnosed with MS but has pain as the only symptom. I'm convinced that the alternating sides feature is a clue to the actual diagnoses, but as yet no one seems to have been able explain why it does this.

Gary
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....