Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I just found out I have severe fibroids that have caused me to bleed thru 2 menstrual cycles. This has never happened before, although my periods have been extremely heavy for the past year. I'm 51 and just got married again. Ugh!

I saw my gyn md and she thinks I need a hysterectomy. :(

I would like to avoid this if possible. She put me on birth control pills to regulate the bleeding. I'm borderline amenic and am taking iron.

Is there anything out there that can shrink those fibroids?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2010
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out.
You seem to be having the symptoms of metrorrhagia(heavy periods).Various factors causing it are endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy, hormone imbalance, endometrial hyperplasia, polyps, sexually transmitted diseases,PCOS and benign and malignant pathologies of the uterus. Since you are already having fibroids, so it can be contributing to this heavy and prolonged bleeding.

I agree with your doctor that you need to undergo hysterectomy for the treatment of the same. This is the best procedure to treat the same. You may avoid it for sometime but ultimately you'll have to undergo the same. Sooner, the better.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.