Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

should we stop for now, wife is pregnant?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Here goes...I am a happily married 30y old man. Recently I visited a massage parlor and had protected oral and vaginal sex. This was the first time I have ever done this and I feel sick to my stomach afterwards and have since been riddled with severe guilt
What's the chance of me getting an std from this encounter and how long before I can get tested for anything
should I stop have sex with my wife tell then our I'm I safe we also have a baby on the way

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A19410
hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Infection with HIV occurs by the transfer of blood, semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate during a unprotected sexual encounter.

It is important to understand that there is no such thing as 100% safe sex, although the use of latex barriers such as condoms in conjunction with a spermicide can make sexual activity safer (in other words, reduce, not entirely eliminate the risk).

The only way to ensure that HIV is not transmitted sexually is either having relations with committed partners, non-promiscuous partners with known HIV negative status, or by not being sexually active (abstinence).

Testing for HIV testing includes the ELISA test for HIV antibodies, which can be done within (28 days) 4-6 weeks of exposure. In patients with risk risk of infection a PCR for HIV DNA can be done as early as 10-12 days post exposure.

You might consider to get tested for HIV after consultation with your doctor who can provide reassurance and also can clear all your doubts that you may have. Additional testing for other STDs can be done after a full history taking and examination by your doctor.

Until then avoiding sexual contact with your spouse might help spread of infection. You might in future consider to follow safe sex and use protective measures.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.