Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

should toddler's blood tests be followed up on?

User Profile
I asked an online doctor about Aubrey's blood work:

My 14 month old daughter has had several viruses and infections in the last 6 months, she has had 14 antibiotics in this time period. I am very concerned, here is her blood work from last month, is there anything that should be followed up on?

MCH 23.9 (27-35)
Absolute Lymphocyte: 6.3 (0.8-3.6)
Absolute Monocyte 1.1 (0.2-0.8)
Lymphocyte: 76 (10-70)
Noted: Few smudge cells,
RBC abnormal morphology: Anisocytosis 1+, Microcyte 1+

Her pediatrician hasn't seen this blood work yet, this was pre-op blood work from the ENT that put her tubes in last month. Any info helps!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2011
Leukemia Answer A28113
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

The blood work is showing raised lymphocyte counts or lymphocytosis. The commonest causes are infection (bacetrial, viral or other), any malignancy of blood and lymphatic system and autoimmune disorder causing ongoing (chronic) inflammation. Your daughter needs immediate evaluation from a hematologist and a through profile of her blood and lymphatic system needs to be done to rule out any malignancy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.