Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Shortness of Breath, Globus Sensation, Chest and Back pain

Hello,

My name is Angelo I am 29 years old, and I’ve been suffering from extreme shortness of breath for the past 4 months. It all started back in April when I was in Austria on a business trip and I got a really bad food poisoning I threw up multiple times to the point that I was throwing up bile and I was taken to the ER where they gave me medication and did blood work and a chest and abs X-ray to make sure I was okay and they told me it was food poisoning and I would be fine. After that the shortness of breath wouldn’t go away so when I returned to Atlanta I went to a cardiologist, they repeated the chest X-ray, did a Duplex Ultrasound, Stress test ,D-Dimer for clots and everything came back normal. They gave me anti inflammatories for several weeks for the pain and omeprazole in case the shortness of breath was GI related. I took the medication for 3 weeks as advised but still nothing. I went to a pulmonologist they performed a spirometry test and a chest CT and they said my lung function is perfect and CT showed nothing no abnormalities, all organ look great, airway is open, circulation is fine they couldn’t see anything.
I am getting very frustrated because at this point this situation is impossible to deal with and I don’t know what to do or where to look for a solution. The symptoms also amplify whenever I try to exercise or swim or any type of activity, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and go to the ER thinking I’m dying but again they cannot find anything and they send me back home. My primary care physician suggested that it might be anxiety and gave me lorazepam to try but this didn’t work either the symptoms were still there.
Any type of advice or guidance would be so much appreciated I am desperate to resolve this.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with psychogenic shortness of breath.I would suggest you to do breath holding excercise.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.