Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

short of breath, rapid heart rate, and tight chest.

So after an appt. with my primary care doc, he says I have hyper inflated lungs and "most likely have asthma". I have had a huge decrease in physical ability over the last year and it has gotten much worse in the last few weeks despite working out more. So today i went in for a pulmonary function test this a.m. and then called my doc this afternoon. He says it will take 4 weeks to get the results back from the PFT. My problem is that I am a full time firefighter and it seems that this could be a dangerous situation. Is there anything else I can do to help or try to prevent symptoms in the meantime? I have called the docs office and asked and they say to avoid strenuous activity.... which is not really an option.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I wanted to tell you that 4 weeks is an absolute rediculous time frame for PFT results. Even when I go in for full pulmonary function labs they can print my results that moment. The test values should be immediately available as you complete the test. You should not have to suffer that long. True, yes that restricting activities would be an ideal option but it doesnt seem you can do that. In the past when I was in limbo while very symptomatic I would suck down the inhaler like it was oxygen. Otherwise if you have a nebulizer it would probably be beneficial to take a treatment before activity. Sometimes a caffeinated beverage can help you feel a bit more open. I would reccomend staying away from milky products if you have mucous that can make breathing harder. An while your waiting on the doc be aware of your limitations. Dont overdue it because its not worth a trip to the ER. Outside of that I would personally get ahold of the doctor and ask for options because PFT's do not take 4 weeks to get in and evaluate. That should have been done in the office. Unless im misunderstanding the tests they ran thats unacceptable. Good luck and take it easy.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
well I don't have an inhaler or nebulizer, acording to him he hasn't diagnosed me so he cannot prescribe anything for me. It just seems insane to me that my chief complaint is shortness of breath and chest tightness and he says ok well wait a month and we will see how the test results come out. I did call the office that did the test, they said they have the results but the doc there has to look at them and then send them to my primary doc.... a whole 5 blocks away. I did get a favor and the nurse hurried things along for me and told me she had faxed it over there today so I know at least he has it. I believe i will be looking for a new primary care doc after this fiasco. But anyways the test was spirometry and the lung volume one. So I guess I am not clear on how either would help diagnose asthma unless I am having symptoms at that moment. Which I wasn't. idk seems like a big decashing plan.
|

replied June 15th, 2012
Guys pls help im just experiencing all this when i feel i cannot get enough breath in my lungs its been 24h now although sleep makes it better.when i wake up same all Im 33.doc say im having panic attacks.it happened while driving.pretty relaxed suddenly no breath and Then panic.i stopped roaccutan 2 days ago.was given diazepan but am scared to take it.help
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....