I am from india and people here still believe in ghosts and spirits entering human bodies and doing whatever and causing illness. i am asking this for a perfectly sane friend of mine who out of helplessness has given in to such beliefs

The problem is with his son. 16 yrs of age. he gets these short deliriums or trans, in which he loses his touch with reality and behave like a mad dog literally. he makes sounds of barking and twitching. beats up his parents and punches the walls. Apparantly the father has showed him to a lot of doctors and all the MRI scans, CT scans and others tests have come out to be negative.
But whatever it is, there has to be a medical explanation. I for one cannot convince my friend to not to believe in such godmen who claim to have control over spirits or whatever. but if you can tell me some medical possibilities or name of this condition, i would be very grateful
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2013
I agree that the ghosts probably have no part here. Your friend's son probably has "intermittent explosive disorder" which often associated with "bipolar disorder". It is hard to manage this condition. It usually requires combination of antidepressants and mood stabilizers together with special therapy. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.