Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

shooting nerve pain in the front of my leg ?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I experience sharp, shooting nerve pain in the front of my leg approximately half way between my ankle and knee. This is excruciating pain which comes and goes on a daily basis with no reason that I can possibly think of. Some doctors think it is referred pain from my back, but cannot find any evidence of this. I've had MRIs, Bone Scans, Nerve Conduction all which show nothing. A recent doctor thinks it may be scar tissue in my leg which is touching off a nerve. Either way my GP has told me that he won't refer me to any more specialists and I will just have to live with the pain! Easy for him to say! This has such a big effect on my quality of life, I hardly go out with my friends any more as the pain can ruin it and my poor husband is at his wits end having to see me in pain.
Neurofen takes the edge of the pain off, but nothing takes the pain away completely. I've been prescribed (in the past) morphine, amitriptyline and plenty of others.

I seem to be a mystery case for my doct

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2011
Neurological Disorders Answer A26342
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms do suggest possibility of referred nerve pain since you have been on treatment for back pain. It is difficult to comment on the symptoms without examining you and going through your imaging and nerve conduction studies. You can consider requesting your GP to have one last referral done to a neurologist/neurosurgeon (preferably a neurosurgeon) for further in-depth evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the pain. Be regular with treatment. You can also focus on a bit of weight reduction and see if that helps (as your BMI falls to 25.1 which is on the higher limit of the normal BMI making you fall in overweight range). Try with reducing carbs in diet while maintaining healthy diet. Drink plenty of water. Avoid caffeinated and carbonated beverages. Be in regular follow-up/monitoring of your treating doctor/neurosurgeon.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.