Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

shivering upon sudden waking

for as long as I can remember, when I have been woken suddenly out of a sound
sleep I shake and shiver all over. it is an odd sensation because it feels like
I am shaking inside, too. it passes fairly quickly as I wake up more fully.
upon trying to find an answer to this, I see all kinds of answers that make no sense to me. I am not frightened when I wake. I am not anxious. I am not cold,
ill or stressed out. I am on one medication and I do not drink alcohol.
I had my thyroid irradiated 13 years ago for Grave's disease, but my thyroid levels
are all in normal range on .0125 levothyroxine daily. besides, I have done this
since childhood. it happens more frequently now because I do have a young son and
have the 'Momma Sensor' that awakens me suddenly if he even whimpers in the night.
also, I do not have any sleep disorder, i.e., apnea, nightmares, somnambulance, etc.
I would just like a reasonable answer to this question. this is not a mental
health issue.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2010
Shivering sensations in my upper body at night
This also happens to me several times a night. During these episodes, the shivering sometimes stops for a second or two and starts up again. I don''t know if this wakes me up or this happens because I wake up, but it does make for a night with little sleep. I checked by heart rate during one of these episodes and the beat seamed strong and normal. Thank goodness it doesn''t happen every night, but it has happened for the last 3 nights.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
I too wake up from a sound sleep and m tumy and my legs are shaking almost uncontrolable, i last for about 20mins. sometimes my husband has to hold my legs inorder to help me o stop them from shaking. This only happens at night, never during he day. I have no idea what is causing his, can anyone help? My doctor just wants to put me on an antidepressant
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....