Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Shingles and Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

User Profile
I am 17 and have had 10 sexual partners. 9 out of the 10 was without protection. I got the shingles some short time ago and they keep coming back and I also have many symptoms of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. What are my chances of having HIV/AIDS?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A10507
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned about the risk of having HIV after unprotected sexual encounters.
The risk of infection or infections really depends on the type of unprotected sexual contact.According to the Guidelines for the Management and Post Exposure Prophylaxis of Individuals who Sustain Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV, ANCAHRD/CTARC Bulletin, February 2001, the risk of transmission as a result of receptive anal sex is somewhere between 1 in 125 to 1 in 31 or approximately three per cent. Other experts place the risk as low as 1 in 1300. One study put the risk of transmitting HIV during vaginal intercourse - infected men to uninfected women at about 1 chance of infection in 100,000 unprotected sexual encounters but again, the one might be the first contact you have.Studies seem to confirm that the risk of transmitting HIV during vaginal intercourse - infected women to uninfected men is quite low, about 1 in 200,000 but of course the risk is not zero.The risk of transmitting HIV during oral sex is extremely low, but the risk is there and it is not zero.The presence of sexually transmitted diseases increases the risk of transmission of HIV from an infected partner. Numbers and percentages really are just guidelines. Infection can and does occur after one unprotected sexual encounter. The only way to know if you've been infected is to get tested. Percentages and numbers should not be a substitute for testing and safer sex.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) affects more than 1 million American women. But what is PID? And what parts of the body does it affect? Basic PID facts here....
How does medical history put you at risk of developing PID? And what causes pelvic inflammatory disease? Are you at risk?...
Pain during intercourse is one sign of PID. But what other symptoms should you look for? And when should you seek help for irregular menstruation?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.