Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Sharp pain under right rib cage

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have this sharp pain under my right side right below my rib cage that hurts only when I laugh, cough, blow my nose or sneeze. I can put my finger right on it. I have had a cold for almost a week. This is when it hit me and has been hurting ever since. Please advise on what to do or what could it be. I asked my co-workers and they said it's too hight to be my apendix (sorry for the spelling). I just don't want to run to the doctor and waste time on something that will go away in time or become alarmed about something that is not serious. It also appear to be moving from the front and going towards my back area as the time progresses.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Answer A10487
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain in the right side below the rib cage that appears to move from front to the back and is increased on laughing , coughing and sneezing etc.
You have also made a mention of cold for the last week, the onset of which coincides with the pain.
As you have described, the pain appears to be steady ache in right upper quadrant of abdomen. Acute distension of the gall bladder usually causes pain in the right upper quadrant with radiation to the right back of chest or to the tip of right scapula. The possibility of gall bladder disease should be considered in your case. The other possibility of inflammation of parietal peritoneum due to pancreatitis or some perforation of visceral organ shall be considered as the pain is located directly over the inflamed area and is increased by the pressure as in coughing or sneezing.
You must consult your doctor for proper evaluation who may like to conduct thorough examination along with some lab tests and skiagrams to find the true cause of the pain.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.