Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Sharp pain on tip of penis

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
im in dallas and here is my situation:
had unprotected sex with my on again off again girlfriend
about three days later, it hurts when i pee at the tip. its a sharp pain that lessons as i begin to urinate. i also notice that the tip of the penis (urethral opening) seems kind of "sticky" (ie it is like there is something keeping it together even when i gently squeeze the opening). i have also noticed that around the opening, there is about a 1-1 1/2 cm red area that is sensitive to touch.

of course my mind thinks uti, gonorrhea, chlamydia or a rip in the opening.

so go to a doctor and get the test? My family practictioner is my "surprisingly" family doctor which I don't feel comfortable going to get a std test. While I understand patient doctor confidentiality, I still dont feel comfortable. Going to the county health department seems like a recipe for disaster.

Soooo ... basically, does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about getting a quality check up for my issue? Would calling a urologist and making an appointment work or does it have to be referred from a primary care physician?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Do you have medical insurance coverage?

If so, it would depend on your plan whether you need a referral or not.

If you have an HMO then yes you will need a referral.

If no insurance coverage, then you should be able to see a urologist unless they require a referral from your PCP.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 5th, 2009
thanks for the reply
thanks for the reply but is a urologist the proper physician to see for this?

also, I don't think I'll use my coverage for this .... I'm just going to pay for it out of pocket
Did you find this post helpful?