Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

sharp pain left of my belly button?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
Just started getting sharp pain left of my belly button in one area and at the very bottom of my rib cage...out of the blue this past got worse as the day went on...woke up soaken wet in the middle of the night..has gotten a little better, but it's very tender to the touch...even when I cough it hurts...stretching hurts but makes it feel better...any ideas? And I'm very regular, I use the bathroom everyday with no issues...the last couple days, I have gone, but it's not the norm. I was fine Sunday evening...I had chinese food a little later than usual, 8 pm...ate a lot and Monday is when I felt a little different, again as the day went got worse, the pain..

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A32523
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

Your symptoms and history appear to be due to Gastric reflux or gastritis.

Gastritis occurs when the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed or swollen.‎

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. The pain seems to travel ‎‎‎from the belly to the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, ‎‎‎Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly. ‎

Treatment of your symptoms due to acid reflux or gastritis can be tried with over the counter antacids ‎like Gelusil, tums, mylanta ‎‎‎and acid reducing medications like omeprazole. ‎

If they do not help, then, stronger medications that protect the stomach's lining or lessen acid ‎‎‎‎production in the stomach are available by prescription.

You should consult with a gastroenterologist, who if needed can order gastric ‎emptying tests, or endoscopies to diagnose conditions like peptic ulcer disease or gastric reflux. ‎

You may consult your doctor for proper advice ‎‎‎and appropriate treatment.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.