Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

sharp pain inside left ribcage?

Occasionally I get very sudden and short-lived sharp/stabbing pain in my left side, it feels like its inside my ribcage not my actual ribs. The area is about level with or slightly higher than my elbow. Breathing and moving worsens it, I just sit or stand still and hold my breath until it goes away, usually 10-20 seconds. This happens at completely random times and in no fixed pattern, it could be several times in one day or just once in a month. Is this something that could be serious?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for contacting EHF. it is most likely not serious especially if you are young like up in your 30s. The alarming signs of chest pain is if its associated with exertion and its never associated with breathing pattern. Your diagnosis is most likely precatch syndrome or some sort of benign pleuritis which is nothing serious to worry about. However I would like you to do a baseline ECG especially if you are a little aged. If thats normal,you are fine.
Dr. Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: actual
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.