Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Sharp pain in leg crease after surgery

User Profile
I had Hernia repair open surgery with the mesh put in on 8-11-09.I have read alot about the problems from the mesh but have yet found an answer to my question......Being thats it is two weeks after the surgery.Should I still be feeling sharp hot ripping pain in the crease of my leg.It is not where they cut me.It is in the crease of my leg.I saw the surgeon today and he said it is the nerves healing.I did not have this pain at anytime during the first two weeks after the surgery.It just started happening,like 3 days ago.It is so bad that I jumped out of my car in the middle of a highway.Because I had to change my position.It hurt that bad.Does anyone know if this is normal or not.Again the surgeon said it is from disturbing the nerves.I am starting to think it is Nerve damage.What do you think.Thanks Rob S

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Hernia Answer A7146
Unfortunately, left groin pain is relatively common following inguinal hernia repair. There are several different sensory nereves that pass through the area of the hernia (and hernia repair), and any of these nerves can either be temporarily or permanently damaged by the surgery. Fortunately, only 3 to 5 percent of patients who undergo inguinal hernia repair have chronic or long-term pain or other disturbing sensations.

You might ask your surgeon to prescribe Motrin or Naprosyn (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for a couple of weeks, as this sometimes can help break the cycle of postoperative pain following inguinal hernia repair.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.