Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Sharp head pains: Concussion, TMJ, or something worse?

Recently I bumped my head getting out of the car and though nothing of it. A few hours later I started feeling lightheaded and having random sharp stabbing pains in my head. Two days later I felt fine and had a very physically exerting weekend surfing for hours. The next morning I went for a swim and my symptoms returned. My symptoms persisted so I saw a doctor. She told me I could have a concussion and that I likely had a sinus infection so she prescribed me antibiotics (Z-pack). It has now been 10 days and my symptoms still persist: (sharp head pains, neck pain/stiffness, ringing in the ears, irritability, occasional periods of lightheadedness/dizziness). I'm beginning to become slightly concerned that it could be something worse. I had a concussion back in January (4 months ago) and had a CT scan; they found nothing abnormal. Also I have been diagnosed with a TMJ disorder and have been wearing a night guard for the past 5-6 weeks. I read online about TMD symptoms and most of them match my situation. Is it possible that this is contributing to my symptoms or is it something more serious? Also I read somewhere online about "ice pick headaches". This is the best way I can describe my headaches.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....