Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Sharp abdominal pain adhesions ?

I had GBS in 2003, an open hernia repair in 2006 and a follow-up lap hernia repair with mesh (don't know what type) in October 2007. The beginning of March I started to have bowel movements problems. I was have frequent and loose bowel movements. I had some mild intermittent abdominal pain that I just associated with the recent surgery.

Over the past 3 months the bm issues have become loose and often frequent in the morning and by early afternoon/evening I am constipated. The pain has become more intense and frequent. It is often positional. I might have a dull pain and then I bend over or lean to one side to reach for something and I get a very sharp pain to the slight left of my bellybutton. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I had an episode of severe pain, I vomitted 2 and had 2 very loose bm's all in the matter of 3 hours. If I had vomitted one more time I was going to the ER, but I fell asleep and woke up feeling fine.

From what I've read thus far I figure it's a partial bowel obstruct from either an internal hernia or adhesions. I see my surgeon next wednesday. As long as my bowels keep moving at least a little bit (btw the stool is very thin if shaped at all) I am not overly worried. I am concerned that this will require yet another surgery, and I wonder if I should mentally prepare myself for admission next week.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You really need to look at this as a possible mesh complication.
I'm so sorry you are suffering from what I've read and been through my self it does sound like the mesh. You need to find a surgeon who understands the problems these meshes are causing people.

You should call your doctor begin by getting scans done if you have any bowel obstruction it can not go untreated.

Please seek medical help.
Keep us posted.
|

replied June 11th, 2008
Thanks, I see my surgeon a week from today. Althought I don't know what mesh she used I know I asked if it's the one that was causing problems and she said it was a new kind...but I also know you never know...as I'm sure they never thought the others would be trouble. She did warn me...r u sure you want this repair because once you start dealing with mesh it's a whole other ballgame...but my first repair was without mesh and the hernia redeveloped but was smaller and often got stuck.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Doctor
People with so many abdominal surgeries (3) are susceptible to develop peritoneal adhesions. Peritoneal adhesions do not cause symptoms by themselves but they can cause internal hernia (volvulus). Internal hernias causes bowel obstruction (strangulation ileus) and abdominal pains. Strangulation ileus can be a life threatening condition so I recommend you to consult some abdominal surgeon as soon as possible. Peritoneal adhesions can be detected with CT-scan.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...