Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Shadow during CT scan

User Profile
Hi,

I recently had another CT scan after one a year ago for a small 3mm nodule found incidently after a car accident. I was a heavy smoker for 17 years - 2 packs a day. On the most recent CT scan the Dr. said it hasn't "really" changed but there is a shadow. She says it probably from breathing during the scan but I know that I didn't move. She has me going back in 3 months instead of a year. Could this moving be true? I couldn't find examples of this doing a search. I am OK with the answer as I have had multiple problems including a liver transplant,for which I take immunosuppresants,and bullous disease with multiple lung collapses for which I had a bullectomy by this same DR.

Thank you in advance.
Frank

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
Lung Cancer Answer A9809
It is, of course, impossible for me to offer specific diagnostic advice to patients over the internet. In general, however, modern CT scanners are usually able to compensate for respiratory movement if patients more-or-less hold their breath during the scan. If you rapidly inhaled or exhaled during the scan, however, then some movement artifact might occur. You will have to repeat a CT scan of your chest in 3 to 6 months to further assess this finding on your recent scan,

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.