User Profile
Hi there,
I very stupidly had unprotected oral sex with someone whose history I did not know (not meaning to be defamatory only honest I believe they maybe a needle user). She performed oral sex on me for a couple of minutes then finished using her hands. 48hours days later I woke up with aching joints a sore throat (only the right tonsil) and fever with slight nausea. I have no congestion or coughing, I have no sores and nothing out of the ordinary regarding my genitals. What are the chances that these symptoms could be because of an STD such as herpes?

Thank you for any replies.

(Apologies for my strange email address its a throw away and the only one that worked.)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2018
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A64195
Here are a few facts that you need to understand about oral sex and HIV.

There have been no studies measuring the risk of getting the AIDS virus through oral sex alone. But available evidence suggests that:

1. HIV is not easy to get from any kind of oral sex.. The risk is much lower than that of unprotected penetrative anal or vaginal sex. This is because HIV is normally only present in saliva in very low levels that are not sufficient to cause infection. The linings of the mouth and throat are very resistant to viral infections such as HIV, so infection is unlikely if they are healthy.

2. Bleeding gums, gum disease, and sores in the mouth can make it easier to get infected with HIV through oral sex.

3. Active partners (giving oral sex) have a higher risk of getting infected with HIV , specifically, if they have oral ulcers, sores or cuts in their oral cavity and in case, there is ejaculation in the oral cavity (for partners providing oral sex to men)

The step forward, is to contact the girl and seek clarification about her STD status, and if you need to take any precautions. If you cannot do that, then getting tested is the only way to clear your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.