User Profile
for the past month or so, i have been going to the toilet quite frequently. When i do go there is not a lot of urine coming out. The urine also smells awful and during the day i can smell the urine off my clothes. I also have pain and irritation in the testicles. I'm only sixteen(male), surely there is something wrong. I have been to my doctor and he has booked an appointment for an X-ray which will be a month from now. I cant wait that long. i need to know if you have any idea what it might be.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2010
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A11283
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know what could be the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Urinary tract infections are characterized with a frequent need to urinate, pain in the lower abdomen (if the urinary bladder is affected with the infection), pain in the back (in case of nephritis, infection of the kidney) and in the scrotum (in case of inflammation and infection of testicles or epididymis), milky or cloudy urine, awful smell of the urine, itching or discomfort in the genital area, etc. Urinary tract infetcions are diagnosed with a bacterial culture from a urinary sample with an antibiogram. If infections of testicles and epididymis are left untreated, it may lead to infertility.

Given the data that you described, you may be experiencing a urinary tract infection or a sexually transmitted disease if you are sexually active. You may consider having a bacterial culture from a urine sample with an antibiogram to rule out urinary infection. You may need to be taking antibiotics according to the antibiogram. See a urologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a urologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.