Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Sexual pleaseure at young age ?

I have a 5 years old daughter. I realised that she had been musterbating under the blanket lately. Is it normal for children to seek sexual pleasure at such young age?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2010
She is only experimenting, maybe she is learning about her body at school....ask her teacher....It is not an appropriate behaviour, but one that can happen. I remember my daughter use to place things in her vagina, as it felt different....It is really not a sexual pleasure, like we get, it is more a exploration, like when we touch things or smell things. You need to sit her down an explain what that part is used for eg going the toilet, and that if she plays with it, that she might end up making it sore and itchy. Also check that it is not itchy, that she has not got any rashes down there. Dont worry too much, it is an exploration phase that most girls and boys go through.
|

replied June 24th, 2010
Whatever you do, please, please don't make her feel guilty or dirty for her exploration. It is completely normal for young children to play with their bodies. It is simple curiosity. If a little boy is found playing with himself or having a show and tell moment people tend to roll their eyes and say boys will be boys, but if a little girl does it she gets into all sorts of trouble and is told she is naughty and that only bad girls do that etc. It is a horrible double standard that we impose on ourselves and our children.

She is 5 yrs old and is capable of discussing the situation with you. Explain to her that it is okay to be curious and if it feels good that is okay also. It also sounds like you need to start talking about sex with her. You need to explain where babies come from and why it feels good to her. Kids understand more than we think they do. Don't make this a big deal. Bring up the topic; discuss it for a few minutes, then let her digest the information, think about it and come back to you with questions. If you make this into a big thing then it will become a big thing.

Sorry if I sound like I am ranting, but this is something I feel very passionate about. It is okay for us to show people's heads being blown off, serial killers chopping off limbs and serial rapists on TV, but not okay to show healthy sexuality. I think one of the biggest causes of teen pregnancy today is the fact that we treat sex as taboo and only show the negative and never the positive. Sex should be discussed in healthy terms, in the open, and normalized. If kids had open conversations with their parents and weren't feed this abstinence is the only preventative crap teen pregnancy rates would drop dramatically. * I'll step off my soap box now. Thanks for listening. *
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2010
Experienced User
I am going through the same thing with my 2.5 year old daughter. She cpnstantly has her hand down her underwear. In the home and in public. I don't dioscourage the exploratio9n but I do tell her that she needs to do that in private. she won't stop doing it in public though. Any thoughts?
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
It is normal, it is nothing to worry about.
|
Tags: age men
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....