I'm a student in The Netherlands.

At a very big student event there was a wine tasting for men. There were very long tables with benches on both sides. The wine was served and after a while everybody got piss drunk. I normally drink a small amount, but this time I let myself go completely and drunk way too much.

At some point someone at the other end of the table peed in a wine bottle and passed it along. It got shoved in my hands and I intended to pass it on to the next person. I must have shoved it too hard, because the bottle fell over. At that moment I saw a flash of light and then there was ringing in my ears. I felt burning on the side of my cheek. The first thought I had, was why am I leaning sideways so much.

Apparently someone stood on the table right in front of me and hit me on the head. He had hit me with a flat hand on my cheek. Because I was sitting and he was standing he could put his weight behind his blow. I did not expect this from happening at all and was completely relaxed at the moment of impact. Because my body was so relaxed, my head swirled very far.

Right now, more than a year has passed since this incident. I'm wondering how bad the damage is. I think it is a good sign that I remember seeing the flash of light, hearing the ringing in my ears and feeling the burning skin on my cheek. I also remember shoving the bottle too hard. After the incident, I asked what had happened, because I didn't realize someone had hit me. However, I am still concerned. I have the impression that after the incident I changed a little. I feel less motivated and don't want to socially interact with people. I also find myself so impulsive and later hate how stupid I am for making a certain decision. I deeply regret what happened, because I never should have put myself in such a dangerous situation and gotten so drunk. Will things get better? It feels like I have lost a major amount of brain cells? Has someone else been through this? I also have the feeling I have trouble concentrating on things for a long time and have stronger emotions.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 15th, 2017
Experienced User
A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury caused by a blow or "ding" to the head. Common in falls, sports, and car crashes, concussions can temporarily affect the brain, causing confusion and problems with memory, speech, vision, or balance.

The symptoms of a brain injury can be subtle or may not be noticed until you return to normal activities. Symptoms can last up to 4 weeks, can fluctuate in intensity, but overall should improve with time.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....