Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Severe stabbing pain in lower right abdomen

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
For several months I was experiencing occasional severe 'stabbing' pain in my lower right abdomen.

About 8-10 weeks ago the pain became more constant, it was hurting for longer periods of time - still very sharp. The pain would last for a few hours, subsiding to an almost ever-present ache. The pain worsens under abdominal pressure.

Went to my doctor who felt my abdomen and diagnosed constipation - advising laxatives. This did nothing for the pain.
Returned to the doctor two weeks later who did a urine test (showing high levels of white blood cells), she gave me a rectal exam and said that I was not constipated - I did have pain from the rectal exam.

Returned the following week, I had a pap smear (showing borderline changes), a cervical health smear (negative) and a chlamidya test (negative). I also experienced pain from the internal exam around my cervix.

What other tests would you advise?
What could this be?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A17708
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. I'll suggest further tests in view of the high number of pus cells in the urine and pain in the lower abdomen.

The pain due to the rectal examination could be due to an infection in the urinary bladder. A urine culture, an ultrasound of abdomen & a CT scan should help in knowing the cause of the pain. Pyelonephritis (inflammation of the kidney) is one possibility which needs to be ruled out. Please consult a physician for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.