Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Severe PMS-related mood swings

Lately (the past 5 months or so) my PMS symptoms have gone from notable to severe, like it was when I first got my period (I'm 25 now). I have serious mood swings and am ridiculously irritable. It used to be something that happened about a week before my period, but sometimes now I feel I'm like that all the time. I can't live this way. I used to be a happy, fun-loving person who was a joy to be around, and now I feel I'm mean to people and just lose my cool way too easily. I have mild hirsuitism (which I believe is hereditary- and my mom has PCOS) and I was wondering if any of this could be caused by elevated testosterone levels(which I have no proof I have). I don't have health insurance and can't afford a Dr visit. Are there natural remedies I could use to help me? I am suffering greatly from this.
-I'm not overweight or underweight, I don't eat excess sugar, I exercise fairly regularly, and my period is always right on time, like clockwork. I am in a loving relationship with my boyfriend of almost 2 years, but my mood swings are becoming harder and harder to handle. I don't know what to do. I take a B complex vitamin occasionally, because I am a vegetarian and also supplement iron (I'm anemic), magnesium, and zinc on occasion. Please help Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 19th, 2012
Mood swings and PMS
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your moods swings...

I'm not a doctor but I tried a lot of different stuff for my PMS. First let me tell you that your lifestyle seem quite healthy and so is your diet. Could you think of anything else in your life that might stress you out deep inside? Something that went wrong?

For me it's the same: bad mood swings the week before my period... but some months ago I had a bad personal experience and I was down or angry at whatever time of the month... once I resolved the bad feelings I felt much better and went on to my normal patterns. (mood swings only the week before)

Anyway: I found a very helpful remedy, evening primrose oil.

It helped me a lot with my mood swings.. I felt calmer and less teary..

I hope this will help.

Take care.
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
I sound exactly like you. I feel pretty bad for my boyfriend, actually. One day I'm normal and in love with him and then the next....well all hell breaks loose. He even got me a kitten to try and make me feel better..it was pretty sweet.

I've done some research and I've narrowed it down to a hormone imbalance for whatever reason.
I went vegetarian about a year ago and was wondering if this had anything to do with throwing my hormones for a loop.
I've been drinking Womens Energy and Womans Moon cycle by Yogi tea and its been helping!!

The main ingrediant in these teas are Dong Quai Root which is found to balance hormones and soothe PMS symptoms.
Also, Avacados are one of the best natural remedies to balance hormones. Try to eat one at least once a week.

Love and Light my dear.
M LaFae
|

replied October 31st, 2012
BLOCKAGE OF PERIODS
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...