Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Severe pain when eating and drinking

My wife is 8 weeks post op. She's 44 and had an abdominal hysterectomy after a long (2 hour) surgery. She has had endometriosis since age 15 or before and lots of adhesions.

Over the past few weeks her stomach pain has increased and is now at the point where she practically cannot eat without terrible, terrible pain. She has trouble drinking too and even small sips cause pain. Her stomach rumbles and growls to accompany the pain.

She saw the doctor today and was prescribed something to help with the stomach pain. Omeprazole.

We are both very worried. I haven't seen my wife in so much pain since we first met and its horrible to see her cry. We're seeing the doc again tomorrow morning but I am hoping someone can say something to me tonight that will help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2011
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms could be due to severe gastritis, further adhesions or scar tissues, possible peritonitis, etc. If the oral medications are not helping, injectable form might be tried. She should visit her treating doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation at the earliest. A further exploration and blood & hormonal work-up should help in identifying the underlying cause for the severe pain. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help her control the symptoms. She should be in regular monitoring and follow-up of her treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptom immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.