Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

severe pain in the middle of my navel made me scream?

User Profile
4 days ago I had a severe pain right smack dab in the middle of my navel that literally made me scream, and it lasted about a minute and a half, but then went away. Since then, I have been having annoying pinching-like pains all round my abdomen and yesterday it finally settled into the lower right side, either beside or right below my navel... it feels like someone is poking or tickling me from the inside. It is not excruciating and I am not doubled over, but it hurts when I tense my ab muscles, cough or sneeze.

I have a low-grade temp (highest has been 100.1F) and nausea with a grumbling stomach, but have not vomited. I haven't had much of an appetite. I am having general belly pain but it is mostly on the right. There is no rebound pain or tenderness. I am not constipated and my period is not due for a few more weeks. Backache in lower back, both sides. Going to the ER tomorrow to make sure. I am an 18 y/o female with muscular dystrophy with no gastro problems.

What could it be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A27665
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Since the pain which is mild natured, appeared and subsided in just a few minutes, it is probably due to intestinal muscular contraction , it could be due to indigestion or other benign causes.

Absence of serious signs like fever, vomiting, tenderness, loss of appetite, etc conditions like appendicitis or any internal infections may be ruled out.

Your symptoms may be treated with medications like pepto-bismol , bentyl which will be helpful.

You might get a ultrasound or a CT done, which may rule out all the causes and provide proper information and diagnosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.