Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Severe pain after hysterectomy

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am 40 years old and on Feb. 22 2010 I had a Hysterectomy leaving only my ovaries. I also had a bladder sling inserted. Two weeks after the surgery I remained almost completely pain free but on the 13th day I started to have horrible bowel pain it was like my colon squeezed shut sending shocks of pain. After this there was pain with any gas rolling and couldn’t pass it or have a bowel movement. I was taking stool softeners and then I added gas x and milk of magnesia after several painful bowel movements the pain eased off. Now one week later all of a sudden I am having horrible pain in my lower abdomen that makes all off my right side tender to the touch from my lower abdomen up to my appendix; the slightest touch takes my breath. I find it almost impossible getting up from a lying position but once up walking is tolerable and eases after a moment I have no trouble urinating though off and on there is blood in my urine. When I am experiencing pain there is steady light bleeding.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A10700
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain in the lower abdomen and blood in the urine after hysterectomy and bladder sling repair.
From the description that you have given, it seems that you are suffering from UTI(urinary tract infection).The infection seems to be in the urinary bladder(cystitis) as suggested by the pain in the lower abdomen and blood in the urine. You need to consult your urogynecologist for further assessment by physical examination, urinalysis, ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis and you might need course of antibiotics in addition to the painkillers.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.