I have been on pain pills for almost 10 years now. It has consistently gotten worse and worse. I am now snorting 2 - 3 Oxycontin 80mg pills a day and on top of that snorting Xanax 2mg every day. I'm not going to go into all the detail on how I got started and such, because everybody here knows where I am coming from. I want to quit and I have to quit. I have lost everything I love due to my addiction...my wife, my kids, and have pawned everything else that meant something to me and lost it. It has gotten to the point where I steal things to sell or trade for pills. I use to be a good person...I honestly can't believe this happened to me. I spend several hundred dollars a day on OC's and I can't take it anymore. I am scared to death. I don't know what to do. Every time I 'try' to quit...I feel like I am dying and I can't even move, talk, eat, drive, SLEEP...it is torture. If there is such thing as HELL...then this is it. Somebody...Anybody...Please help me...before it is too late...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 9th, 2009
Go talk to your doctor. See what they say. May not sound like fun but I think you may need to be in an in-patient treatment program for a while.

Initially you could try your local AA group. They will talk mostly about alcohol but you can learn to use some of the same tools for Oxycontin.

Talk to your doctor, they will try to help you!
|

Experienced User
If you have lost all that is important to you, you have nowhere to go but up. Take the opportunity to see your doctor, get into a treatment center to help you get off the meds and stay off of the meds. Though it may be trading one thing for another, Suboxone has been a great help to many people (myself included) who have been prescribed pain meds so long ago that then turned into an addiction. If you don't mind being on a daily maintenance medication, and you really do want to get your life back in order (and your finances too), find somewhere that will help you to transition from oxys to suboxone, as well as get the help you need to change your lifestyle to help you stay clean from oxys.

I have never been on methadone, but I have heard that it is a tough drug as well, and is very, very, very hard to come off of, and is too easily abused. Suboxone helped me to get back on track, go to work, have my family, and be a productive, and HAPPY human being. Now, I chose to taper off of suboxone and am now totally free of meds, and I will tell you that the taper and drop off was a little hard for me mentally, but is NOTHING especially compared to what you are dealing with when you come down from your oxys I am sure. Though in-patient and outpatient may not sound like fun, I would be willing to bet that either or both would be a relief, and are certainly a hell of a lot more fun than what you are going through right now.

I wish you a healthy recovery. Have faith in yourself. You have a lot to recover for! Wink
|

You can do it!
I too feel for you! I have been on Lortab for the last 3 yrs due to a car accident 12 yrs ago. I am only taking 6-9 a day but when I tried to quit or have run out before my refill is ready I know I will have a painfully sleepless night a head of me. I can only imagine with you taking Oxy's how horrible it will be but also pls know you are not alone and we are all behind you in your decision to get help.

I feel you need to check into a program that can detox you first (1 week or so) and then into a rehab centre. You can't do this on your own, there is no way and it is dangerous for you with all you take. There is also a herbal pill that I've bought (Withdrawal Ease) that has an evening dose and a day dose that might help you. Heck it's worth a try huh?

After all is said, you are a good person you just lost yourself along the way! Get help now!

-Suz
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Experienced User
My friend, if you can get a hold of Iboga, or better yet Ibogaine (the chemical in Iboga) administered by a health professional, your soul-sucking addiction could receive a blow larger than you ever thought possible.

Now personally, I'm currently in the process of quitting oxycodone myself after 3 years being addicted to it; and for once, I'm doing so very successfully! At first this seemed impossible - as the withdrawals are an indescribable hell that never seem to let you rest - but I am now almost off the stuff entirely. How you ask?

1) I weened myself down. After taking 100-400mg's a day, I'm currently down to a paltry 10mg per day with 300mg tramadol (a faaaaaaaaar weaker synthetic opiate).
I found the lowest dose I could tolerate without relapsing, and started from there; not pushing it too hard, not throwing myself into excruciating pain thinking "oh yeah! I'm gonna do this!". Because after a day, you become utterly exhausted and fall right off the wagon. So don't drop too far, too fast.
My recommendation is that once you find the lowest semi-comfortable dose, drop 5mg a day, and when one of those 5 mg drops feels too harsh, stay on it for another day before dropping the next 5.

2) Don't touch methadone treatment with a 10 foot pole. The government (well, the FDA, a government organization) has a mentality of "if it gets you high, it's evil!". And so methadone, which actually blocks the euphoric effects of opiates, is the prime substitute for other opiates. But methadone has been proven again and again to only potentiate the physical addiction to such extremes that some people have suffered for up to 6 months of withdrawal before finally feeling relief. I don't know about you, but I can barely make it through 3 days within an inch of my life (in fact, the last time I did full-blown withdrawal with no weening down, by the morning of the 3rd day I was collapsed naked on the bathroom floor, all my strength gone, crying like a baby, and the paramedics took me away to the hospital).

That aside, I read a very interesting recent study that showed that heroin addicts in methadone treatment had about a 64% relapse rate, while trying a new method of gradually weening them down with diacetylmorphine (heroin) or Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) had only about a 33% relapse rate.

3) and now my chemical secrets. By doing endless hours of bio-chemical research and devising just the right chemical treatment plan, I've managed to make this withdrawal the most remarkably and surprisingly easy thing I ever could have hoped for. But, I don't know what other meds your on and therefor what contraindications may apply. For instance, if you're on any MAOI's, this treatment plan won't be for you. The MAOI's are my biggest worry really, but not too many people are on them anyway. So, here's what I did chemically to give my withdrawal a thorough butt-kicking that made it feel like it wasn't even there (while staying at extremely low doses, not being completely off).

- Lyrica (Chemical name "Pregabalin"), 75mg, 1/3 times a day. One when you wake up in the morning is most important. Then, as needed, one in the mid-late afternoon and one before bed.

- Clonazepam, 1-2mg before bed at night.

- Ativan (Chemical name "Lorazepam") 1-3x during the day. Mind you, I have a bit of a benzodiazepine tolerance, but by the looks of your post, so do you.

- And here's the big one (not that the other ones aren't important too!): Dextromethorphan drank down with a tall glass of grapefruit juice. I can't remember all the science that lead me to this conclusion initially, but here's the gist: grapefruit juice has a unique quality that inhibits your liver's production of the Cytochrome P450 liver enzyme and all it's sub-sets, including the all-important CYP2D6 enzyme that metabolizes the Dextromethorphan (in simple terms). Inhibition of the CYP450 enzyme will also inhibit metabolism of most opiates, including oxycodone, so the amount you do have in you will actually be stronger and last longer. This is actually kind of a bonus in that your before-bedtime dose won't run out before you wake up and have you waking up at 4:00am DTing.

As to the dose of Dextromethorphan? That's entirely up to you. Generally the more you ingest, the more the withdrawals go away. I personally found that after one night of being fairly high on it - but not too much - my opiate cravings and withdrawals were gone for a solid 2 days. But I wouldn't recommend actually tripping balls on it - and it's not necessary - just drink enough to keep those DT's down; you'll figure it out through trial-and-error.

All I can say is that Dextromethorphan has been an absolutely miracle, life-saving drug for me, and I don't think I could have succeeded without it. But it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you make sure you get a formula with ONLY DXM in it. I got Buckley's DM, personally.

Good luck to you friend. The road to recovering is a lot smoother and less scary when you know your biology, and most importantly, stay committed. I don't know if this will work for you, but personally, every time I'm about to take a big dose of oxy I say to myself "I'm going to do brain damage here. Am I really willing to sacrifice some of my mental capacity for this?"
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You can take benzodiazepine in detoxification process. Keep your nerves calm and strong.
Avoid parties and other unhealthy gathering.
Do regular exercise and yoga.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.