Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Severe osteoarthritis and its treatment options

User Profile
I have severe osteoarthritis in C6-C7, would that cause my arms and hands to be perceptively cold? My trunk is warm as are my legs and feet. There is some pain in my back, controlled with heat and/or tylenol.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2009
Arthritis Answer A6622
Severe osteoarthritis, especially at the level you describe, can cause problems far from the area.

The C7 nerve root affects the hand and fingers. One symptom of irritation of this nerve is altered sensation of the fingers (especially the middle finger).

Heat over the neck should help with the pain. You may also try ice to decrease inflammation. Other options include traction or possibly corticosteroid injections into the nerve root. Good luck

Antonio Marotta, D.C.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Osteoarthritis is a type of joint disease that causes the most disability in the U.S. But what is osteoarthritis? Review types of osteoarthritis and stages here...
Aging may cause osteoarthritis, but what behaviors put you at risk of developing this type of joint disease? And are you at risk of osteoarthritis?...
Symptoms of osteoarthritis progressively worsen over time. What signs and symptoms can you look for? And when should you seek medical help for joint pain?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.