Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

severe nausea alongside acid reflux and constipation at 15?

User Profile
For the past three weeks, I have had some severe nausea on and off, alongside acid reflux and constipation. I went to my general healthcare physician, and he said that it was most likely chronic constipation, so he prescribed me Miralax. After three days of Miralax, my symptoms stopped and I felt normal. However, I drank some lemonade, tons of red pasta, and chocolate for dessert (horribly acidic foods), and then developed the same old symptoms, except worse. It's been five days now and I'm still feeling miserable.

I've decided to take Miralaxx every three days, since the side-effects are harsh. I'm also taking citrucel on a daily basis.

I'm only 15 years old, male, and I don't want my summer berated by an unknown illness. I also go to an elite private school, and with school drawing near to its close, the assignments are getting harder. School should be my paramount, not this sickness.

PS: I also get severe cramps before having a bowel movement.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2012
Acid Reflux Answer A34826
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

According to the description provided by you as nausea,acid reflux you seem to be suffering from gastrointestinal issues and some common reasons could be:

1)GERD or Reflux Oesophagitis -- It should be relieved by intake of antacids.Usually drugs as Nexium 40 and Lansaprazole are quite helpful in combating these symptoms. Make sure you move your bowels regularly.

2)Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid,you should not eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
Restrict carbonated drinks,caffeine intake,smoking and alcohol if any.

3.)Gall bladder disease- can be stones or cholecystitis. An examination by ultrasound scan will help in diagnosis.

The simple measures that are likely to help you are-

1.Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.

2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.

3.You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol or tums for symptomatic relief.

4.You should try to improve on your food habits, pick more greens, fibre and vegetables.

5.Drink 10 to 12 glasses of water daily.

6.Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed.

7.It is very important to take fibre rich diet as cereals,bran,beans,dal,oats,whole grains as it helps in softening stool.

8.Avoid taking medications frequently for passing stools instead you can take natural fibre supplements when required.

Lifestyle modification can help a lot in improving the symptoms and making you feel better.Consider taking Prilosec empty stomach in the morning for five days and observe for changes.If the symptoms are persistent consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.