Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Severe mood swings - bipolar ?

Hello,
I am a 15 year old female and for the past few months I haven't been feeling like myself. It all started around 3 months ago, I would start having these feelings of being on top of the world, then about an hour later I would come crashing down and feeling depressed. I was not on or near my period at the times that this happens.. It goes on for around a week, then stops for another while. It is very hard to explain. Nothing has happened in my life has happened that seemed to bother me since these started happening, for no reason I just get into these moods, and I seem like I cannot concentrate, I am losing weight too. This all started when I was in class one day, and had a very embarrassing panic attack. It was out of the blue. They started coming back recently and are getting worse. Also in the past month my sex drive has increased extremely! I barely feel like this and it will not go away, I feel very anxious too. I am also barely sleeping, but when I wake up I feel very energetic. I am unable to concentrate and this is getting in the way of my schoolwork also. I have never thought of suicide though, never would I do that. I just got over being upset around an hour ago, it comes and goes and when I think about what is happening I get even more upset.I talked to my school guidance counselor and she gave me a test, I answered the questions and she said she thinks I might be mildly depressed. I have searched up everything I could on google and it all leads to BiPolar. Depression runs in one side of my family too, the same side that is depressed are also addicted to drugs, and I really do not want to end up like that.
If anyone has any idea of what is happening, please respond.
Thank you,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Bipolar symptoms
Please see your doctor or a psychologist/psychiatrist! This sounds exactly like me when I was your age. I did not get diagnosed with bipolar until I was in my 30's. I could have been saved from a lot of pain and stupid things that I did if I had been helped sooner. If you describe those exact symptoms to anyone in the medical field, they should immediately recognize this as bipolar disorder. Don't let it scare you, though. Although it is a serious condition, it is very treatable and you can live a happy productive life.
God Bless!!
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
hello my dear,

as laurendhh says, please see a doctor. and it sounds exactly like me as well. that's when i started or maybe actually recognized my mood swings.
growing up with it was a bit confusing for me. first i dint know it was actually a condition and i was having it.
it was a struggle for me, just like you. i can so relate to you. i still do have anxiety attacks (that's what i call it), unnatural happiness, and sometime my laughter gets uncontrollable, and the other side is sadness, crying attacks, and a lot more.
one thing my dear, i need you to do is, never let it over take you. its a very difficult thing to do. how ever low you feel, or you fell you are going down, then move, do something fun, have a chocolate, or ice cream, listen to some energetic music, sing, run anything that would get your brain pumping. on the other side, be careful of the highs... stay back, make sure your actions and words are controlled (i hate it, its got me into so much trouble.). i know its extremely difficult, but just don't let it eat you up. and finally... talk... write and speak to your self in front of the mirror, its a relieving thing to be letting it out looking into your own eyes.
I'm really happy that you are not thinking about suicide. remember dear, there are so many people like you, and there will be immense support for you. and finally please see a doctor. it really helps. you will know where you stand. and since you are young, it will be great to start early on, on battling things that make you feel high and low... Smile
love you, and hope you have a wonderful life... Smile
all the best!
|
Users who thank the_liberating_force for this post: Orrery 

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Supporter
It sounds like symptoms of bipolar disorder. Please remember there is so much knowledge on this disorder that you should be able to lead a normal life. My advice to you would be to make an appointment with a good psychiatrist, maybe one that is recommended. This is the most important part of your treatment; finding the right doctors. One thing I've learned with my experience with psychiatrists is that some are just anxious to write those prescriptions and get you out of their office and some will really make sure they are giving you the right diagnosis. Make sure the doctor spends time on the first visit really getting to know you. Make sure that he asks you loads of questions and it is very important that you open up to him/her about everything. It's the psychiatrist's job to diagnose you and give you the proper meds. after the first visit they probably won't spend as much time, but make sure that the doctor really gets to know your symptoms and you before he writes that prescription. I've been there and I've been misdiagnosed by a doctor that didn't spend more than 5 minutes with me. I suffered with a lot of medications that weren't right for me and even caused me danger until I found a doctor who I opened up to and spent a good hour with me on most visits. Good Luck!
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Wow. I know this is inapropriate but "snap".
I'm a 15 year old girl, depression runs in my Mother's side of the family and I recently got diagnosed with cyclothymia. The supposedly "mild" version of bipolar.

I know this is a seriously late reply and you have probably gotten help, but If not then please do. Things are still difficult but when people around me know why my mood suddenly goes so weird it makes life easier
Good luck x
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...