User Profile
I have a friend who recently told me she has a very serious case of kidney stones. She said they have taken up the majority of the volume of her kidneys. She takes pain medication and deals with it but she was told that there is not a cure and it is a fatal case. Could this be true or is there any cure for her? Transplant? Anything..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A9720
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether experiencing severe kidney stones can be fatal.

Kidney stones may be discharged painfully out of the kidneys. If they are bigger than usual then they can be treated with non-invasive extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL). Percutaneous nephrolithotomy or rarely open surgery may ultimately be necessary for large or complicated stones. If not treated properly kidney stones may be complicated with kidney infections, hydronephrosis (enlargement of the kidney due to urine accumulation) or kidney failure.

According to the data that you described, your friend seems to be experiencing severe kidney stones. She may need to have any one or more of the treatments listed above. If diagnosed additionally with kidney failure she might also need to have dialysis. She should consider seeing a urologist for further information about the treatment options.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your friend to consult her doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a urologist for further advice and information about treatment options for severe kidney stones.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.