Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

severe itching, open wounds on the foreskin.

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
For the last 15 days, I have been having severe itching on the foreskin of my penis and sometimes on the head too. It is ver embarrassing as sometimes the itch comes right in the middle of a meeting/public gathering. I have tried using coconut oil, Boroline, Nivea etc but it is just not getting cured. The skin gets all roughed up/fissured on rubbing and now I have open wounds on the foreskin. The skin after drying of ointment gets puffed up and develops solid wrinkles much like back of garden lizard or a python. It softens up on apllication of warm water but then itching returns in 5 min. I am quite troubled by this and am seeking some cure. Yesterday I tried Betadine solution also, will check and update results today.

Even Betadine is not helping, should I try some antifungal cream

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2012
Penis Answer A31518
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. From the symptoms it can be contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction to the cosmetics, soaps, fabrics etc or fungal infection causing balanoposthitis. Balanoposthitis is the inflammation of the foreskin and glans and can be caused by bacterial or fungal origins or by contact dermatitis.

Oral course of antibiotics is needed. In addition, please don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin. Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then please consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Penis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.