Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Severe hypoglycemic episodes

User Profile
Is it possible to produce too much insulin and if so is it a precursor sign of Diabetes Type 2.
The reason I ask is because, for many years now but more frequently in the last two or three years, I have suffered what I can only describe as SEVERE hypoglycaemic episodes which, once started, can affected me for the rest of my day.
These symptoms come on very suddenly and include feeling of extreme weakness, sweatiness, shakiness, very impatient mood, and of course a complusive need to consume sugary foods.
It is like a vicious circle because I have worked out that the more sweet and crabs I consume, the more I crave them -for the reasons I have just explained.
I have discussed this with my doctors but he has never taken my complaint seriously. To pacify me, he has once or twice sent me for sugar tests but, of course I do not have diabetes. Please help. Rose

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2017
Diabetes Answer A61808
Diabetes is essentially a condition where there is reduced production of insulin results in dysfunction of carbohydrate metabolism. Any condition with increased insulin generation in the body will result in a state of hypoglycemia, rather than hyperglycemia, which is associated with diabetes mellitus.

If you seem to have actual episodes of recurrent hypoglycemia, then it would be recommended to consult with a endocrinologist and get a proper evaluation which can help in proper management of the underlying condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Diabetes
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.