Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Severe body rash - HIV infection

User Profile
hello I'm a mother of a30 years old son forthe past 8 months he has been
severe body rashes groin face back headhe's scracth all hiseye brows off
He's not been able to rest at night and has nomedical insurance. We are retired military my husband hadsome amlactic 12% mosturizing ans also ketoconazole shampoo 2% whichthought to have given him a little comfort but NO! he's still in pain yes my son has lived ad homemosexual life style and my greatest fear is that this rashis related

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A9698
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether the rash that your son experiences is related to HIV and AIDS.

HIV(human immune deficiency virus) affects the T-helper lymphocytes and causes severe weakening of the immune system. It develops through four stages into a condition called AIDS, which is characterized with opportunistic infections and certain kinds of cancer. The first stage, the incubation period, is asymptomatic and usually lasts between two and four weeks. The second stage, acute infection, which may last an average of 28 days, may include symptoms such as fever, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, rash, muscle pain, mouth and esophageal sores. The third stage called the latency stage, shows few or no symptoms and can last anywhere from two weeks to twenty years. AIDS is the fourth and final stage of HIV infection.

Given the data that you described, your son may or may not be experiencing HIV infection. He might want to have HIV diagnostic tests such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), Western blot, an immunofluorescence assay (IFA) to rule out HIV infection. The tests should be done three months after suspicious unprotected sexual intercourse. If the results came back negative, he might want to see a dermatologist to rule out any allergies.

Please keep in ming that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please tell your son to contact his doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a dermatologist for further advice and information about diagnosis of HIV infection.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.